Monday, August 2, 2010

Obsessed

I just watched My Dinner with Andre for the second time this week. The movie is perfect for me. It is one long, open, intimate conversation between two people, Wally Shawn and Andre Gregory, about life and art. Wally and Andre based the screenplay on conversations they’d actually had with each other. I originally saw the movie in a Critical Theory course I took at Principia College, and tonight, I watched it with my mom.

Two themes I saw in it tonight are:

* DO (as in productive DO) vs. BE
with Wally on the side of doing and Andre on the side of being

* Art is not more accessible in one place than in another. You don’t have to be on Mount Everest to have an epiphany.


My mom at a gas station on our drive home from my graduation, June 2010

There was the cat slopping its milk all day,
Fat cat, red tongue, green mind, white milk
And August the most peaceful month.

No comments:

Post a Comment