Monday, June 9, 2014

Still I Call It Magic

I have considered Coldplay my favorite band ever since their songs accompanied me through the awestruck months following the England Abroad. This spring I have heard their new hit Magic a few times. It didn’t speak to me. In fact, recently, I haven’t strongly identified with any of their music. The state of mind the music conjures up in my memory has seemed far away.
Tonight I attended a going away party for Kiff, the best manager I’ve ever had. His two years at this branch have been the Golden Age. Everyone works together so well, and we often express gratitude for our unity. As we celebrated and goodbyed Kiff over Italian subs and calzones tonight, there was so much love at that table. It didn’t matter that the service sucked or that we were sweating because the place was so hot. It mattered that we all loved each other and knew we loved each other.
It was the last time the whole group would be together. Georgia is also leaving the branch, and she is integral. And yet I know that love is not confined to or dependent on person, place, or thing. We will all go on. It is right that we are going on.
As I got in my car to leave, I turned off my audio book about the Holocaust and switched to the radio. Coldplay’s Magic was playing. It was perfect for the moment. As I was swelling with gratitude (and heat), the music was right. And the message that I heard I agreed with: yes, I still believe in magic. At a stoplight, I bowed my head and held up prayer hands. I could feel the magic that I had found in college HERE at this BANK that hadn’t exactly seemed magic when I first started working at it. But HERE I found people I love SO MUCH. And they are everywhere! Good people are everywhere! Love is everywhere! This feeling of connection I have…well, the fact that I could get it HERE in this context means something.
As a matter of fact, when I attended a career conference during my senior year in college, I was in a small group for ten minutes, and we had to talk about our career aspirations. My friend's boyfriend happened to be in my group, and he later reported to her that I used the word "magic" 18 times, which I hadn't realized. I never really thought it would slip in here. 

Georgia and me in our branch. September '13.  
“Call it magic
Call it true
I call it magic
When I’m with you

And just got broken
Broken into two
Still I call it magic
When I’m next to you”

1 comment:

  1. 1. I knew you'd find the magic there! AH!
    2. That story of you saying "magic" at the Career Conference is only surpassed by how you wrote down "standing up during The Merchant of Venice" as your proudest moment.
    I just make myself laugh writing that. I LOVE YOU.

    ReplyDelete