Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Nothing New vs. Everything New

I have intimated before that I stick up my nose to conversations about the weather. I won’t participate in it. When people ask, 'Could it get any hotter?,' I give them a quick nod, thinking 'Yes, I know. Hot. Big surprise. It’s June 1.' I won’t even LOOK at a weather report.

Maybe I shouldn’t be such a priss.

If I’m going to take a stand against weather talk, why don’t I also refuse to answer the question 'What’s up?' and spit when someone uses an idiomatic phrase? The reason I’m upset about weather talk is that it lacks freshness and originality. But, so what? A lot of people say, and the Bible says, “There is nothing new under the sun.” I know, to a certain degree, that is true, but I also love originality, and I think we should settle as little as possible for the, uh, dronespeak, and try to, um, really say something.

“Courts, it’s really hot outside.” “Oh, really, IS THAT ALL YOU WANNA TALK ABOUT?!”

"I push my fingers into my eyes
It's the only thing that slowly stops the ache
But it's made of all the things I have to take
Jesus, it never ends, it works its way inside
If the pain goes on
Aaaaaaaah!"

1 comment:

  1. But I love talking about the weather! I couldn't get out of the habit after going to England, hehe.

    ReplyDelete